West Milford Establishes House Numbering System in 1965

The Township of West Milford established its first house numbering system in 1965, a significant change that improved mail delivery across the large municipality. Prior to this system, mail carriers navigated the area without numbered addresses, relying solely on the names of roads and residents to deliver letters and packages.

For years, a small group of mail carriers managed to deliver mail effectively despite the absence of a formal numbering system. They knew their routes intimately, familiarizing themselves with the names and residences of each individual on their lists. One notable instance involved a letter addressed to “Red headed Gene next to the gas station on Echo Lake Road,” which was successfully delivered to Gene Mathews without complications.

Mailman Walter Snel, a graduate of Butler High School in 1921, was one of the local carriers who managed deliveries in the area. He used his personal car to navigate routes that included Echo Lake Road, which was later renamed Macopin Road. His deliveries encompassed not only letters but also mail-order packages and even live baby chicks from Chicago. Without house numbers or postal codes—established nationally only in 1963—Snel relied heavily on personal knowledge to fulfill his duties.

Another mail carrier, Leslie Post, served the Newfoundland Post Office and covered Union Valley Road up to the Hewitt intersection. His route also included deliveries to Pinecliff Lake. At that time, the first West Milford Post Office operated out of a building housing the medical office of Dr. Joseph Massessa, who tragically died while flying a vintage military plane.

In 1965, the local governing board of West Milford, known as the Township Committee, voted 3-2 to contract G. Waldo Rude Engineering Associates to develop the new house numbering system for a fee of $11,000. While Committee members Warren Brogan and William Dunnigan expressed concerns about Rude’s contract, favoring Paul Emilius Associates due to their slightly lower bid, Mayor Wilbur Fredericks advocated for Rude’s selection, citing their extensive experience in creating similar systems in other communities.

As a result of this decision, house numbers were established, allowing mail carriers to streamline their routes and deliver mail more efficiently. Snel continued delivering mail along his previous routes even after the numbering system was implemented. Post eventually retired and spent his final years in Arizona.

The West Milford Post Office has since relocated to 1560 Union Valley Road, on the property once known as the Wiggins farm. Before this new location, the post office operated out of a storefront complex that is now home to a local restaurant.

In January 2023, customers of the Hewitt Post Office were instructed to use the West Milford Post Office for their mailing needs until further notice. In addition to the West Milford location, residents have access to post offices in Newfoundland on Route 23 and at Oak Ridge on Oak Ridge Road, enhancing postal services in this expansive township.